today just short glimpse about difference between programmer and software developer.
So, try to picture following scenario, you ask for program.
As result programmer will give you a code.
But Software developer will give you "some questions" ( and this list is not complete )
- How does it fit in the business process. Are the requirements thought out?
- Are you sure you understand what it will cost?
- What kind of documentation will it need?
- How might it interact with other code?
- What platform will it run on. Are the scalability issues?
- How might it impact future development? How might it be enhanced in the future?
- Can you find/buy/reuse other software instead?
After receival your answers maybe software developer will give you code. Maybe you'll buy some program.